Monday, February 1, 2010

they sat so we can stand


The International Civil Rights Center & Museum opened its doors today in Greensboro, and I could not miss being a part of the crowd that honored it with a visit. As I entered the Center, I had to make a huge effort not to let a tear run down my face. I was deeply moved as I witnessed that many of the visitors were people who had lived those years of uncertainty and drastic social changes.

Another thought came to my mind. I don't think the four young men who walked in Woolworth's 50 years ago today, sat down and requested service had any idea that their courageous act would contribute in changing an entire nation. And I don't think they ever suspected that the place from which they were kicked out would today become a landmark for social justice. These young men simply sat down, so we can stand.



-Edgar

No comments: